Thursday, May 5, 2016

I know where we need to go.

Alright, Jack White, this I can do. I leave the past two to the Captain to parse, that doesn't belong to me in any way, shape, or form, I'm just here to absorb. This I can say, bring it back and bring it forward. I think KINGS in the format any of us are used to ended too early for Jack White solo. I remember living in Portland and Blunderbuss coming out and being super into it, and maybe Bri-Bri was mixing at the time but I have no certain memories of that playing into anything I heard. It's such a natural graduation. Continuing the lineage, letting the children go their own way.

And now, Weezer. I've become an unexpected advocate for Weezer among those who are disinterested on principle by anything after the Green Album. Which I say understanding the very original 'what the crap is this' song was a later-era Weezer offering. Sometimes you come to love things by virtue of the advocacy for them presented to you by that those you love.

I have too many and no things to say about Mark McGrath, so I'm just going to leave it at the fact that I'm very happy this is the penultimate song. 'When it's over, is it really over?'

Alright KINGS and subsequent subjects, it's time to go. We're finishing out with Blondie channeling too many things: we've got a cover of the 60s charming/creepy ballad done in island-themed Jimmy Buffet wish-we-were-on-a-boat style. I want all of the lives this could lead us to.

Goodnight, KINGS. Goodnight, mix. Goodnight, moon. Goodnight, universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment