Monday, August 30, 2010

Great DJ


357 Edgewood Avenue Southeast
Atlanta, GA 30312
(404) 343-1808
http://www.nonisdeli.com/



Friday, August 27th, 2010
Here's how it went down,

It was a little frustrating at first. The afternoon prior we worked out the wiring for the sound system and it was working fine but when I got there Friday night suddenly everything went haywire and, pretty much, their entire system decided to stop working. Like all of it, even the stuff that already been working all day and night. It took some hair-pulling and trial and error and, I think what amounted to, magic by Matt the owner, but we finally got it and “This Charming Man” roared to life like some triumphant dance floor battle cry.

The set list, if I am remembering correctly went like this:



This Charming Man-The Smiths
In The City-The Jam
Mirror In The Bathroom-English Beat
The Guns Of Brixton-The Clash
Watching The Detectives-Elvis Costello
Bottled In Cork-Ted Leo
Another Nail For My Heart-Squeeze
Little Girls-Oingo Boingo
Generals And Majors-XTC
My Sharona-The Knack
Talking In Your Sleep-The Romantics
Take On Me-A-ha
Rave Up(Shut Up)-The Rave Ups
Rock This Town-Stray Cats
Baby Please Don’t Go-Them
Up Around The Bend-Creedence Clearwater Revival
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress-The Hollies
Dirty Water-The Standells
The American Ruse-MC5
Monk Time-Monks
Crimson And Clover-Joan Jett
Young Folks-Peter Bjorn And John
Let’s Go Surfing-The Drums
Semi-Charmed Life-Third Eye Blind
Closing Time-Semisonic
Everything To Everyone-Everclear
Glycerine-Bush
Rapture-Pedro The Lion
Sucked Out-Superdrag
In The Sun-She & Him
Reunion-Stars
Teenage Ballad(High School)-Computer Magic
Me And Jane Doe-Charlotte Gainsbourg
Building In L.O.V.E.-The Hundreds In Hands
Dominoes-The Big Pink
New In Town-Little Boots
Polaroids And Red Wine-Jaguar Love
Shutterbugg-Big Boi
Rill Rill-Sleigh Bells
Dawn Of The Dead-Does It Offend You, Yeah?
I’ll Believe In Anything-Wolf Parade
Peacebone-Animal Collective
Heads Will Roll-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Blue Monday-New Order
20$-M.I.A.
Little Secrets-Passion Pit
Kelly-Van She
And I Was A Boy From School-Hot Chip
Lights And Music-Cut Copy
Vanished-Crystal Castles
Seventeen-Ladytron
Tar Heart-Zeigiest
Crimewave (Crystal Castles Mix)-HEALTH
Blind-Hercules And The Love Affair



There was really so much I wanted to get to but didn’t have a chance to (mostly more PILL-oriented stuff, I didn’t want to just jump into the dance-party as this night was described to me as being more about being generally up-beat but not about “making people want to dance” which I both understood and didn’t understand). Next time hopefully. The stuff I pulled to play was all over the place, as I had no real idea what was expected of me or what the vibe was going to be. I think it ended up making a nice logical arc. I felt satisfied with the ride we went on. Not sure if everyone else did. There were also two requests I was trying to fulfill and didn’t work out. There was a couple at the bar that wanted to hear Empire Of The Sun, and I was on the way to it but they left before I got there. Sorry players. Also, one of the bartenders informed me that the girl who was working the kitchen really liked that song “Promises, Promises” by Naked Eyes, and in a rare case I actually did not have anything with me with that song. I was attempting to find it and quickly download it but the internet was not really coming through for me. Sorry, next time I’ll be ready.

Thank you to all the beautiful people that came and supported, and really, thanks to Jenn for being the one that rallied them. Really nice work. Nice work everyone, it meant A LOT to me. Thank you to all the nice folks working at the bar and all the folks that helped engineer it all. (God, it sounds like I’m doing the thank you’s for a feature film or something, I know it’s silly, I’m just really excited to play music for people.)

I’m gonna be talking to Matt the owner and it sounds like there will, in fact, be more DJ’ing for me there upcoming, fingers crossed.











it is 3:29 am
this is the seance.




















xx

4 comments:

  1. SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!! slash hellOOOOOOO who told you like twelve years ago that you should just become a DJ. suits you perfectly. glad it went well, wish i could have been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for posting the playlist.




    ps it's moving day in allston. eeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bri -

    found your blog through leslie's page. that sounds like a great night. congrats, dude!

    kare

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgggggggg i FUCKING WISH i couldve been there so hard. slash wish you were djing a night like this for the entire time you were in boston. sounds awesome bri bri, so happy for you!
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxooxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you!!!! i appreciate the emotional support!
    And thanks for dropping by K-dog, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete