Thursday, June 3, 2010

Functions.

This is one of my favorite aspects of the mixes. I woke up this morning and I had "Follow You Down" by Gin Blossoms in my head. I had to open at work which means that there is just about enough time during morning prep to listen to one whole mix. So this is something I do now, pick a mix and put on my headphones and sweep and set up tables and whatnot, it's nice. It's like the mixes being returned to their original function, work-help.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. The point of the story is I woke up with that song in my head. Now, historically, it can be difficult to decide what mix you want to listen to. What alleviates this is knowing that the integrity of the mix project is such that no matter which one you put on you are going to be happy and hear lots of stuff you like. But choosing is still sometimes hard.

It is one of my favorite things to get a song in my head, figure out what mix it's on and have that be my choice for listening. In that way, sometimes, single songs will color the entire mix for you. There are certain artists that always make me feel good and KINGS-y or give me that Los Angeles feeling and these bands are, more often than not my, the stars I steer my ship by. I am constantly picking a mix to listen to based solely on the appearance of one particular song. I like that some songs can be so strong that they serve as rudders (it might be mildly horrifying to share that many times the songs are either 90's hits, or anything by Red Hot Chili Peppers or Sublime. Yeah, I'm that cool.) And the nicest part is, in those cases, you often don't know what you're getting into with the mix. You have no idea whats on it or how it plays and interlocks. You just go on a pleasant little journey of surprise and excitement. There's usually a lot of "Yes!! This song! My day is totally being made right now!" (Incidentally I, and many people I think, have the same reaction to classic rock radio. Even though we have all heard those songs a million times and it's no surprise that a classic rock station is playing them [since their playlist is only so big] it's still a freaking triumph. It's still that exciting and day-making when "Don't Fear the Reaper" comes on, or "Mississippi Queen",
ahem,
anyway,
I digress...)

Today I woke up with "Follow You Down" in my head and, in the two seconds I had before going to work, I looked it up in the mixes and turns out it's on --054(Wires And Cords). I will restrain myself from writing a full review of that mix until it comes up in the list, as we go. But suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised and excited, go figure, it was a really good mix. (I mean not to pat myself on the back or anything. Writing this blog is filling me with the feeling that my writing here is really like, self-important, and self-important in that dumbass way where it's about shit no one else cares about. Talk about overdoing it. Why don't you spend a little more time acting like what you're saying and doing is some big deal that matters. I calm myself with the knowledge that this blog is for the people I am closest with, and who will actually care. It is not just some general blog that I'm expecting the average person to ever see or give a shit about)


so there you have it.
--002(Antlers) entry is underway and coming up next.













it is 4:39 PM
this is the seance.






















xo

No comments:

Post a Comment