Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flashes.

A lot of mix-ness has been happening lately and I have not had the time or the chance to be taking note of it, but I am very committed to my commitment to the details of this record, so I am going to just jot down a couple sign posts here which I will expound upon later if I can.

-A few mornings ago, going into work, I must have had one of those instances where I had weird, bad dreams and woke up and didn't recall them but just felt weird and bad and so was in a melancholy mood and decided that was a good morning to listen to --031(Solar System) which is sort of one of the de facto Elliott Smith elegies.

-A couple mornings later I somehow got into a text thing with Coree and she told me she was on "the only Clinic song to make the mixes" which happens to be "Mr. Moonlight" on --046(Tonight There'll Be Clouds) so I decided, in an act of solidarity, to also listen to that as I went about my morning at work. It turned out to be a lovely, pertinent choice.

-Jenn and I were in the midst of going through --030(Moon Moon Moon) for a couple days, which I originally put on because, going back to the Chik-fil-A post, we were listening to --037(I Want Wind To Blow) in the drive-thru line and then continued that mix later in the kitchen making dinner or some such thing over the next day or two and that mix ends on "Vasoline" by STP and Jenn asked me if I remembered "that other song called Vaseline" which I discerned was "She Don't Use Jelly" by The Flaming Lips, which happens to be on the aforementioned "Moon Moon Moon". And so we were then listening to that, as time permitted, over the course of a couple days.

-From there we somehow got onto --034(Get The Hell Out Of The Way Of The Volcano), which I see now, we listened to a not-quite-up-to-date version of (oh well). And at that point (there have been a few other mixes under our belts lately that I am forgetting, while grilling with Andrew and whatnot [I'm sure that --015{Great Ghosts} and --021{Ice}] have gone by in this course,) I felt like we had had a lot of "old school" mixes happen (at one point, driving home from getting groceries at Kroger, "Circles" came on [from 030] and Jenn remarked "FINALLY, I've been waiting for this song. I've heard like every other song by Soul Coughing and Mike Doughty over the last few weeks and I was wondering when this song was gonna show up because I really like it..." or something like that.) so today we were headed out to Woodstock to do laundry and hang out and go to Wal-Mart to look for watering cans and bathing suit parts and so on and I decided and declared "we're gonna try out some of the 'later' mixes". I put on --Figure 8 Minus....(I've Seen Tomorrow*) and off we went. Jenn remarked that it was nice to hear some different things on the mixes and I really do understand, hearing mixes back to back to back in the presence of a new convert, that it must seem like its just mix after mix of the same 8 or 10 bands. Sorry. I tried to give an explanation of 1st wave vs. 2nd wave mixology that I think made a little sense to her and also reminded me of some essential roots-ness of our thing.


-To back track just a little, to Sunday, we had a rare Sunday off together and had a really lovely day, got a lot of stuff done including making a trip to IKEA to get her a desk to work and sew from and me a bookshelf addendum to allow me to expand my organizational dreams. We came home and set about putting together our respective furniture and I got the chance to have one of my favorite lost KINGS mix experiences: the part where I say "pick a number between 1 and 255" and that is the mix we listen to. She picked 79, which, in an ironic twist turns out to be the mix entitled --079(Marriage), lovely, perfect. Life is sometimes this kind of beauty. In the background of all this we watched Spike Lee's "Malcolm X' with DENZEL and coming off of that watched Oliver Stone's "JFK". We are sort of on this epic/historical martyr/black history/certain directors thing I guess. We finished JFK tonight and, in what appears to me to be some of the greatest evidence of "God" or "fate" or "divine providence" I've ever seen, the next X-files episode we had (as most of you know by now [and most of you are also taking part in,] we are watching all of the X-files, every episode and movie, in order) was all about the smoking man being implicitly involved in the JFK assassination and so on. Proof of God is all around us.


























it is 5:22 AM
this is the seance.



































xo

No comments:

Post a Comment