Wednesday, March 16, 2016



Meant to put this up yesterday as I was working on it. Another lovely afternoon here working on the Jimi mixes. Just spinning through the lovely --149(Beautiful Face*). Again, I forget how good this era is, and how different. This is one of the shorter ones for a change.

I'll also direct your attention to the last two pics in particular. One of the nerdy fun parts of the iPOD project for me is, when I think of it, looking into information about albums that I've never looked at before. In this case it was "Earthquake Glue" by GBV. A dark horse from late in the pre-breakup era. Still haven't spent enough time with it to know where it sits for me but I do have a particularly fond memory of this album, walking along the bank of the Charles outside Harvard Sq. but on the Allston side, going in the direction of Western to Harvard. It was a lovely sunny day, green grass and trees, blue river. It is, in fact, the one and only memory I have of listening to this album. Aside from the track on this mix which I cleaved to immediately. I have a lot of memories tied up in those between place places in Boston and Allston and a lot of memories of albums like this, anchored in one single moment, one random listening, one out of the ordinary time or place, an iceberg tip or skyscraper top that juts up above the clouds of other memories for reasons I can never fathom. I like those a lot and some of those are serving as inspiration for some of the bands and albums I'm trying to work into new KINGS mixes. More on that as it happens I guess.

Anyway, apparently one of the working titles for "Earthquake Glue" was,

wait for it...




"Live Like Kings Forever."




Thank you Bobby Pollard.

Thank you KINGS.















It is 2:23 p.m.

This is the seance.






















.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I don't remember this particular night with Vicky although I 100% see it happening theoretically in my head. What I do remember (and maybe it's the same night, but I honestly can't be sure) is the night she moved out. We were having an Allston Xmas KINGS celebration, it was in the midst of the Captain's and my annual cleaning expedition where we scrubbed the castle in every corner, our Sept 1 tradition of "if we're not moving out, we can pretend we are and get this place in shape". We got iced coffees and one for Bri Bri and danced in the (later-to-be boxing ring) and you came in during O Valencia and we handed you a coffee and kept up the party, KINGS play soon to come. At some point Vicky came back with her bf, who had been a less-than-savory presence during her duration at the Castle, and they began moving her things out via the living room in which we were playing KINGS. And just none of us would acknowledge her because why would we, really. The Captain and I had gone through her boxes the week preceding and found several things she appropriated that certainly belonged to us -- a Scrabble set the most memorable among them. I'm sure there was a lot of attempted interaction that was barely recognized by the KINGS. This night we were drinking Presidente, I don't know if it was on sale or they were out of Corona or if it just felt like a reasonable departure from the norm. It was a great night and, separate from the usual "this is a departure or new era of KINGS", a night of truly conquering a kingdom that belonged to us, the outsider finally ousted for many grievances.

    --015(Great Ghosts) channeled by One AM Radio in my ear says "so far, so good."

    ReplyDelete